A reminder that if you need to renew your vehicle MOT after 30 March 2020, the usual annual renewal date should have been extended by six-months. Conditions that apply are:
Your MOT certificate will be extended by six-months if it was due to expire on or after 30 March 2020 and your vehicle is a:
- light van
- other light vehicle
First MOT due
The extension also applies to these types of vehicles that are due their first MOT test on or after 30 March 2020. There are different rules if your MOT expiry date was on or before 29 March 2020.
How the 6-month extension works
Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it is eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it is due to expire. This means that:
- your vehicle will still have a valid MOT certificate for an extra 6 months
- you can still tax your vehicle – you might need to wait to do this until later in the month if both your MOT and vehicle tax run out this month
- your insurance will still be valid
- your vehicle’s record will be updated so the police can see you have a valid MOT
You will not get a new paper MOT certificate with the new expiry date on it. You must still keep your vehicle safe to drive.
What you need to do
Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be updated about 7 days before it was originally due to expire.
- Three days before your MOT was originally due to expire, check the expiry date has been extended.
- If the expiry date has not been extended 3 days before it was due to expire, email email@example.com.
You need to include these details in the email:
- the date your MOT expired
- your vehicle registration number (number plate)
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will then:
- update your vehicle’s record
- email you to tell you this has been done
If your vehicle tax and MOT run out in May
You cannot renew your vehicle tax until your MOT expiry date has been extended. It will be extended a few days before it was originally due to expire. This means you might need to wait until later in May to tax your vehicle.
Check that the MOT expiry date has been extended before you tax your vehicle.
Keep your vehicle safe to drive
You must make sure your vehicle is safe to drive (‘roadworthy’). It can be unsafe even if your MOT expiry date has been extended.